Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Week 2, Day 6

My shrink reminded me of the twenty minute rule of thumb today. And I feel a renewed strength at dealing with food and my associations therewith.
Basically when I feel overwhelmed, angry, frustrated, bored and anything in between I turn to food. And then I hate myself a little bit more, so binge a little harder.
But the 20 minute rule, which I've been applying to my temper (read anger) I had completely forgotten to apply to my food associations.
It works as follows:
- acknowledge the desire to binge/eat a whole packet of chips/biscuits/block of chocolate
- then follow it through to the end
- I'll eat it all
- I'll enjoy it while I eat it
- and I may feel good for a little while
- but then I will be angry at myself, disappointed, and hate myself for it
- so instead I'm going to go for a walk/fold the ironing/hang out some washing/whatever for 20 minutes (by which time the urge would have largely gone)
- then, and only then, if the urge remains I can eat whatever my heart desires.

It sounds complicated? Convoluted? It's not at all. Because otherwise I get into a complete tailspin about denial, guilt, and end up quite loopy. So this little process? This has been the singularly most empowering piece of advice given to me. That basically every human emotion has a 20 minute life span.

Tomorrow, weigh in.