Monday, September 10, 2007

Day 6

So today presented the first challenge for me in the whole WW lurrrrve of all things Carnation Skim Evaporated Milk.
I think WW is on the right track in that it fundamentally teaches you that everything you put in your body, counts and that basically it comes down to deciding if you're going to predominantly fill it with foods that are good for it or foods that aren't.
And then our paths diverge.
You see, if I feel like chocolate cake, I'm going to eat a proper, decent, home made piece of chocolate cake. Not a plastic little bar of something that might feature cocoa about five things down the list of ingredients and tapioca thickener in there somewhere as well.
If I'm going to make corned beef then if I want to serve it with white sauce, it will be a proper white sauce made with butter, flour, milk a hint of mustard and parsley. I will be sensible and make it with skim milk and I will only have a tablespoon or two of it rather than half a cup... or more.
I will not, will not, heat skim evaporated milk and add a cornflour slurry to thicken it to resemble white sauce.
Blah followed by gah.
Similarly, if I'm making something which would normally involve coconut milk, I will not be swapping that for skim evaporated milk and coconut essence.
BLAH GAH.

So tonight I made fantastic corned beef and served it with mashed potato (and a few carrots thrown in there for good measure - which I made with skim milk), cabbage (cooked in water of the corned beef) and broccoli. With parsley sauce.

Things to think about when I feel the road ahead is too long, too hard and too everything...
- back fat
- thigh chaffing
- finding it hard to cross my legs

And things to look forward to...
- energy
- feeling my collarbones, hip bones and my ribs on my back
- more of my wardrobe fitting