Friday, November 14, 2008

The psychology of eating

My shrink has just semi-retired/career-changed and after probably somewhere in the vicinity of 40 years as a psychiatrist he said that he was still no closer to understanding why some people have 'issues' with food and others don't.

But for me, in these early stages of - once again - having to lose weight I feel like a true addict. Each day that passes without me having shovelled more into my mouth than I needed or making food choices that are only going to end badly I psychologically punch the air in victory.

I imagine this is how a gambling addict must feel each and every time they walk past a TAB.
Or an alcoholic walking past the bottle-o.

It is a strange victory, one laden with exhausted resignation.

And so here I stand, another day to get through.

Breakfast:
bowl of porridge w/ stewed rhubarb and pomegranate
Morning tea:
cape seed roll, 1 mango
Lunch:
cape seed roll w/ ham, tomato and rocket
Arvo tea:
small piece of banana parkin
Dinner:
small serve of spaghetti w/ sauteeds broccoli, asparagus and cherry tomatoes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exercise is the only solution. Mental exercise I mean. Where the justifications truely stretch your powers of logic.

Some of my favourites are:
if it's the baby's leftovers it has no calories;
it is shared, it has no calories;
if I leave one piece, it has no calories and so on.
Truely exhausting stuff.

And on top of this I resisted the chocolate, did not add more parmesan than vegetables to dinner and had a spoon not a bowl of icecream.
A good day.
All chins up
DJ

Poppy B. said...

Wow, we're in the same place. Yet stewed rhubarb on porridge is yards apart from my usual: a cup of frozen blueberries added to weight loss maple-flavored oatmeal, zapped in the microwave.

I think WW would be much more tolerable if we could swap food.

I mean, even a very small piece of banana parkin would be so different that I might not need to wolf down the entire thing.

Kill said...

A favourite of mine DJ is that any food eaten while standing in the open fridge door is free (no calories). Also, A BBQ chook can have no calories if it is consumed while scaldingly hot, straight from the bag.