Friday, March 6, 2009

Adventure Racing and Long Walks

The walk that I've been doing is 8km long and hilly. I did it 3 times this week (the 3 days my 4yo is at pre-school) and that is what I am going to do each week between now and the adventure race I mentioned yesterday.
We're doing one of the sprint races in the Kathmandu Adventure series. You don't know exactly what you'll be doing until you get there and get your course map for the day. The teams who really know what they're doing then spend some time plotting the fastest course, Mr Duyvken and I look at the topography lines and hope for the best. It's a combination of trail running, mountain biking and kayaking, the running and kayaking should be fine but I really need to spend more time biking than I did in 2007. I really wasn't confident on the bike and it cost us a lot of time. I blogged about it (albeitly briefly) here. That was way back in 2007. We were the 3rd or 4th last team to finish so it shouldn't be too difficult to improve on that!
I haven't been doing the crunches, why do I hate them so much?

3 comments:

Mary said...

The running and kayaking should be fine!

Good grief.

Just doing one would kill me.

KPB said...

Forget crunches, get down on all fours, have your elbows slightly bent so that your back is straight. Then relax your stomach muscles completely. Then suck them up and hold it for 8. Do that for as many times as you can bear.

I have been told by a personal trainer that doing that is far more effective for core muscle strength and your abs. And for some reason they aren't as hideous as crunches.

I would LOVE to do something like that. Absolutely LOVE it. One day.

Anonymous said...

I was sitting beside 2 people from work on Friday who were heading to an adventure race on the weekend. Crazy mega-fit 'adventurous' people. Good on you. Can we average the amount of exercise we are doing across the group!?

Actually - I had a major effort this evening - I moved the old broken TV that was sitting behind the treadmill (and preventing it from even being folded down). Anyway - the result....... the treadmill is DOWN! There has to be potential in that.